Harold McMillan’s wind of change reached Ralston in1962, the Second district council had been looking for land to provide a community centre and recreational facilities for some time. On the 30 July 1962 the Secretary of State wrote to the District Council suggesting that if specific proposals for a community centre and recreational facilities were put forward for the vacant land on Allanton Ave/Crookston drive, he would be disposed to consider the proposal favourably.
William Kilpatrick the clerk to the council recognised that the Secretary of State’s letter could be the key to open the doors to the financial planning and building of the new centre. Plans Sketches and meetings followed and at one of these meetings Mr Norman Keanie ( who became a Life member of the club)suggested that a bowling green could be accommodated on the land fronting Allanton Avenue. The Council agreed and Ralston Bowling Club was on its way.
Mr W Palmer became the first president of Ralston Bowling Club in 1966, he was followed by George Stewart who held the presidency from 1967-1972. It took Eleven years before the first Wappenschaw was arranged and the keys of the clubhouse were handed over to President William (Bill) Drewette by George Adams J.P. of the second district council on Wednesday 29th August 1973, nine ends were played on the memorable and historic occasion.
The members finally agreed on the current location for the clubhouse which was designed by Donald Forrester who also supervised the work. M Muir &co won the tender for the work at a cost of £40.170.80, a further cost of £1931 was paid for the furnishings for the club.
The two storey clubhouse originally consisted of ground floor Locker rooms and toilet facilities for both Ladies and Gents and a first floor with a Bar Area and full height Glazed windows on the front wall to allow the members to enjoy watching games on both greens. Social events prior to 1974 took place in the community centre before a wooden floor was laid to allow dancing and many happy evenings followed.
Our First extension was added to the west side of the original clubhouse. This extension started life as a site office in Hillington Industrial estate as a prefabricated structure and was purchased for a negotiated sum of £1500. Once added to the clubhouse the roof was recovered and Brick walls built to match the clubhouse. This extension was paid for by an interest free loan of £10 per member. The new extension consisted of a Bar Area, seating for 120, a dance floor and kitchen, this allowed social evenings to become more sophisticated with regular dances and cabaret shows taking place.
The Club has had a further extension to the East of the main clubhouse and has updated the Ladies and Gents locker rooms and toilet facilities as well as providing dignified toilets facilities for people with physical disabilities. This extension also provides more accommodation in the upstairs bar area as well as a new Committee room.